Monday, January 5, 2009

Krispy, Free hugs, Ski

I just arrived from the 2 hour bus ride from the Hyundai Sangwoo ski resort.
Here's what happened, I originally planned to go to Yongpyong Ski resort, which is what my hostel recommended and I read in my book that it is very famous, because they shot some scenes of the Korean TV series Winter Sonata in this resort.
I researched in the internet on how to get there. First bus leaves at 5:50 in the morning.
Meeting point will be at Lotte Mart entrance.
To go to Lotte Mart, I need to take a subway to Jamsil Station and get out at exit 4 and take a 10 minute walk to the Lotte Mart. Since the first bus leaves very early, I also checked the time for the subway to open.
First train runs at 5:30 AM, and from my hostel it would take me 20 stops to get to Jamsil station.
When I got to the Lotte Mart, it was around 6 AM. I was happy because there we're people in their ski costumes, obviously waiting for the bus as well. Finally, as stated in the website, ride on the purple ski bus. When I looked at the sign it says"Hyundai Sungwoo Ski". I told the driver I want to go to Yongpyong, he then informed me that the bus has left already and the next trip would be 9AM. Left with no choice and no plans, I hopped in the bus to another ski resort.

Plan was not effected...but never the less, it was a good experience. I did not ski because I am physically not ready, having barely 3 hours of sleep. Importantly, I am financially not capable also, ski rentals are expensive, taking a lift is expensive, hiring an instructor is the most expensive. So what I did, even if I am not in proper ski attire, I bought a ticket to take the lift, and rewarded myself with a hearty breakfast buffet in the bakeshop.









Krispy Kreme.
Manila, Hongkong, Taipei, and Seoul. What do these cities have in common? They have franchise of the mouth watering Krispy Kreme Doughnuts. Now the quiestion is... Why not in Mainland China? Yes I have been deprived with krispy kreme since I got to China. After more than a year of deprivation, I stuffed myself with Krispy Kreme yesterday. They must have known that I have been deprived for a year already, because I ordered for 2, they gave me 1 free..... slurp...
Free Hugs.
I saw some korean girls holding the free hug placard. I was just observing them. It must be with the korean culture, the girls were just stared and sometimes avoided when they open their arms, gesturing for a hug. I think it must not be easy offering a free hug on a cold winter, and being avoided and declined. I took a picture of them and they gladly posed with their asian peace sign. After posing for me, I went near them and Hugged them... I felt that they were relieved because somebody accepted their free offer. As we hugged they say " Gamsa Hamnida" means thank you.

No comments: