Sunday, December 28, 2008

Seoul Searching

After a short deliberation, I have finally decided to go crazy and end the year 2008 with a bang. Without much thinking I told myself I am going to Seoul.

And so I read and looked for informations about how to get a Visa to Korea. I have to admit it was a bit difficult because aside from complying all the requirements for the Korean Visa ( Chinese Visa, work permit, employee certificate, employee's business registration, Bank statement, detailed Itinerary and 540 RMB). South Korean Embassy in Shanghai has changed it's regulations since August this year. Nobody can directly apply for an individual visa. Everyone has to go through an Agency.

As much as I want to go through the bloody details of phoning the embassy in Shanghai and being referred to an agency in suzhou, only to be declined since I am foreigner, and pass back to the embassy again. I am thankful for my persistence and obviously I was the first foreigner that the Suzhou agency has processed, which unfortunately have to deal with their incompetence.

2 weeks ago I got my visa application approved already. So timely for the weekend that I will be sending Naomi off from Shanghai to Tokyo. I also took the chance to buy the lonely planet Korea.

I am looking forward this trip. 1st time to celebrate new year away from home. 1st time in Korea.

My must do in Korea:
Visit Ski resorts and try skiing for the 1st time
Visit the scary boarder of North Korea and South Korea. ( DMZ)
Try traditional korean food
meet my old korean friend Booker
Have fun

Let me share some interesting read I got from my lonely planet book:
Before going to Korea
Don't leave home without:
-checking your socks have no holes in them as you must remove your shoes to enter Buddhist shrines, traditional restaurants and private homes.
-Packing extra winter clothes during winter
-Improving your skills at charades and gestures as not many Koreans speak english
-Practicing being naked in front of strangers so you can enjoy Korea's many excellent and reasonably priced hot springs and spas
-Packing a pair of sheets if you're planning to stay in a budget accommodation, which often has just quilts.
-Bringing personal hygiene and brand name medical items that may be difficult to obtain.

With that... I am all set except for my accommodation...
( my Korean Visa and my best friend in Korea Lonely planet Book)

No comments: