Saturday, October 4, 2008

Amazing Sichuan







Arriving at Shuangliu Airport at chengdu, I immediately sent my host a message that I have arrived in Chengdu already; I got a message back that I will be met at gate number 2. I must have been the first passenger to go out of the exit, because I did not have any check in baggage.

I was greeted by my friend Zhao in the exit. As we headed towards the bus station to wait for our bus to Deyang City, we talked about my flight and I also asked how long has he been waiting for me at the airport.

ChengDu has a welcoming atmosphere. Everything is calm. It’s pretty modern; the closest city that I can compare it with is Shanghai. It is not as modern as shanghai but it’s definitely not as unfriendly as Shanghai.

I was treated to my very first Sichuan Dish……Man…. The food was so good. It was a bit spicy but it was really good.

When we got to Zhao’s apartment, it is very clean and comfortable. I experienced my first Chinese hospitality, because this is my first time to get invited to a Chinese house. Zhao really made sure I get comfortable in his place. He gave me a little tour in his apartment, and even asked me which room I would want to sleep. I answered that I can stay anywhere, and I don’t want him to offer the master bedroom. I opted to stay in his guestroom.

When Zhao showed me the toilet, he showed me how to use his shower. He then asked told me to tell him if there is something I need. I told him “I don’t know how to use the toilet”.

“ I don’t know how to use the toilet” This sentence could mean either 2 things.
A. I don’t know how to operate your toilet bowl.
B. I don’t know how to properly squat in a traditional Chinese toilet bowl.
And I mean B. I don’t know how to use the toilet using the Chinese toilet bowl…

I was too shy to elaborate more, Zhao got me wrong he showed me how to flush the toilet.
Oh no…. at the back of my head I was thinking…. How long can I hold this?

No comments: