Sunday, October 12, 2008

Hongkong.... Not so Keen.... Undecided



My friends back home are going to HongKong on the 23rd of this month. They have been planning this trip for a long time already. And I know for a fact that having to organise this isn't easy for them since they have to make sure they get permission from work and they had a hard time deciding the date that would allow everyone to be able to join the trip.

They have invited me long ago, and I committed myself to meet them in HongKong. I am a little familiar with some sights in HongKong and how to get to some places using the subway system. And importantly cross boarder to Macau by ferry. My friends are rooting for me to help them navigate the city.

Honestly, I am not so keen in going to Hongkong this month for several reasons.

1. I am saving money for my planned trip to either Russia or Kenya early next year.
2. This trip would be my 4th time to hongkong in less than 3 years, not including the stop overs
coming to and from China to Cebu.
3. 4 days in Hongkong is 4 days less from earning money in China.

Because of this, until now I haven't really taken this trip seriously. Last friday I decided to check the airplane schedules and prices from Shanghai to Hongkong. I also compared the price if I fly domestic to Shenzhen and take the ferry to Hongkong. ( I did this route January of this year).

Here are some options that I saw but not confirmed yet:

Option 1 China Eastern Airline RMB2246 ($325)

Oct 22
20:00 Pudong
22:00 Hong Kong
Oct 27
11:50 Hongkong
14:10 Pudong

Option 2 Dragon Air/Cathay Pacific RMB2396 ($347)

Oct 22
19:30 Pudong
22:10 Hongkong
Oct 27
11:00 Hongkong
13:20 Pudong

Option 3 Shanghai Airline/China Eastern RMB 1940 ($281)

Oct 22
8:20 Hongquiao
11:40Shenzhen (via Guangzhou)
Oct 27
11:10 Shenzhen
13:00 Hongquiao

3 options. But I haven't decided on which option to take. The 3rd option is the cheapest but I have to stop in Guangzhou for 45 minutes, and I have to consider the cost in taking the ferry from Shenzhen to Hongkong.

I have to decide within this week so I can finalize everything.

But anyway, I have committed myself to go with my friends, I can't afford to back out right now. I will just think of this trip as a way to relax away from work and spend time with people that I don't see often anymore.

No comments: