Wednesday, October 15, 2008

The Mysterious Notice

While waiting for my bus at the bus stop near my apartment, I noticed a paper posted on the wall. People were reading the notice. The curious me also took a look.

I got more curious and interested about the notice because it was handwritten and there was a picture of a young girl . It is written in Chinese and looking at it, there were some words that I understood, like Mama and Papa, telephone and some basic words. Being very interested what is it all about; I took the notice from the wall and I brought it with me to work.

Later in the afternoon, I had my chinese friend, Ken translate it for me.
He read the notice and the first phrase he said after reading it is.... It is a bad news.

Apparently, the notice was posted by the girl's parents because they are looking for her. They said that when they received her call on the phone, they immediately came to Suzhou, to look for her. I'm not sure if I heard Ken right, he said that the girl is sick. In the notice the parents are also seeking help to those who read the notice to help them find their daughter.

My thoughts:
The notice was handwritten and was photocopied to produce several copies.
Being it handwritten, my first thought is that the family might not be from a wealthy family, and the parents must be very desperate in looking for their daughter.

One child policy in China
It must be very difficult for the chinese parents considering that most chinese families are only allowed to have one child.

I asked Ken if this kind of situation is common in China. He told me that it is more common for chinese boys to run away . He added that there are many young boys and girls from smaller and poor towns coming to the big cities to look for jobs. If they are not successful in their job search, they prefer to stay in the big city and bear the hardships and difficulties than to go home empty handed and disappointed.

After knowing what the chinese notice is all about, I felt bad for taking the posted notice from the wall.
Today while I was waiting for my bus, even if it's a little awkward and embarrassing, people were staring at me as I posted the chinese notice back from where I got it.

No comments: