Monday, October 6, 2008

Zhao, My Host, the person who gave me another impression of Chinese people




(words in the conversations were not the exact words used... but the thought remains the same)


Zhao is my host in Sichuan. He made sure I was taken cared of. From the time I arrive at the Chengdu Airport, he was already waiting for me, despite the countless times of telling him not to fetch me at the airport. I don’t want to cause so much trouble for the fellow. But he really insisted of meeting me at the airport.

Zhao is the first Chinese person who invited me to stay in his apartment. I was not sure on how to react to the invitation. I insisted on staying in a hostel so that I won’t have to bother him so much. Again he insisted that I stay in his apartment. I was thinking this would be an interesting experience having to stay in a Chinese home with a Chinese fellow.

Through him I was able to get to know deeper some Chinese cultures learned more how Chinese people see things differently.

Firstly, Zhao introduced some of the famous Sichuan Dishes….. Yes they are all spicy and undoubtedly very delicious!
He is a very graceful host; Zhao introduced me to some of his Chinese friends and even went his way to travel with me to nearby Sichuan towns.

I will try my best to recall some conversations I had with Zhao that made me learn something new about Chinese people and how he sees things.

Zhao: I wish one day I can travel around like you.
Me: Yeah you should travel. You will learn a lot and gain many experiences
Zhao: It’s not so easy to travel. I need to work and earn money.
Me: That’s right. But through traveling you will discover that there is still a bigger world out there. It’s not just China. Though China is really beautiful
Zhao: We Chinese people in China are like inside a Great Wall…..

I was taken a back on how he describes China’s enclosure to the outside world. With the strict implementation of information coming in and out of china, they are very particular on cable channels, blocking some internet sites certainly; there is limited information in China.

We also spoke about the shape of a person’s face and how Chinese people view it. Zhao told me that if a person’s face is round and he has a broad forehead, he is deemed to be somebody who is going to be rich.

Me: Does that mean that I’m poor? I have an oval shaped face...
Zhao: Yes….
Me: Uhhhmm?

We talked about Chinese families, on how Parents play a part in a person’s life decisions.

Zhao: I really like shanghai, I hope one day I can visit shanghai, it’s very modern city
Me: Why not try looking for a job in Shanghai? Or maybe in Suzhou?
Zhao: I want to but my parents would not allow me to be far from them.
Me: But you are earning your own money already and you can be independent.
Zhao: I cannot leave my parents here, they are old.
Me: Wow your parents really affect the decisions in your life.
Zhao: Yeah… how about you?
Me: I have my brothers and sisters, and I can always go back home anytime.
Maybe this is so because of the one child policy… You don’t have brothers and sisters to help you take care of your parents.
Zhao: Maybe…

We talked about music…
Zhao has a very good taste in music. I was amazed because most the Chinese people I know have the same taste in music. It is mostly western music that became popular few years ago. But Zhao’s music was very up to date. It is a shame; a Chinese person gave me some songs to upload in my ipod. His choice of music is really impressive. Aside from that he helped me upload some Chinese songs too!

Me: I’m really impressed with your choice of music.
Zhao: Why?
Me: I thought Chinese people are not so updated with western music
Zhao: No not all, I always use the internet
Me: I’m really impressed!
Zhao: Well we are all the same people. We listen to one music

By the way, Zhao also watches popular western TV series… Can you beat that?

Zhao, thanks for your hospitality and for sharing your time when I visited Sichuan. I have learned
A lot from you..Thanks for the goodies from luojiang =)

Deng yi haha! kuai yi ti er( quiet'r)

No comments: