Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Dai,James and John

November is ending, I haven't been able to update much on this blog. Instead of writing my thoughts, I have devoted most of leisure time in November in reading. Though only a few people know about my blog. It was funny to get a message from my friend back home telling me to update my blog because she doesn't have anything to read anymore. How ironic can that be? While I'm drowning myself in pages after pages of reading materials, she takes time to check this blog for updates, when its suppose to be writeasifnobodysreading. But never the less thanks my friend for the effort.

Let me share some of the books that kept me busy for the 2nd half of November
Balzac and the little chinese seamstress by Dai Sijie.

the book tackled " reeducation" in China which actually took place on the 60's, where intellectuals were forced to live in the rural areas of China and were forced to do hard labor in the farm.
It was the time when all books were banned in China, and all Chinese people were to learn the ideals of Chairman Mao's little red book.
Owning Western book at that time was considered to be a serious offense. The story revolves around the lives 2 young city boys, reeducated in the farm and their discoveries and adventures when they got hold of a hidden western book from an author named Balzac.





When the wind blows by James Patterson.

a thrilling fast paced book about a secret scientific research on the evolution of Man. It involves character of a veterinarian who's husband was recently murdered and a falling FBI agent. How their lives connect while solving the mystery.
The author has a distinct way of writing his novel to make it "chewable" or easier for readers. The author writes his stories in short chapters. Expect chapters to run to about more than a hundred.


The King of Torts by John Grisham

a novel about a young ambitious struggling lawyer in Washington, who stumbled upon a random minor street killing in the area's slum. Leading to opening a case against one of the largest pharmaceutical company.
The book tackles issues about large class suits and how it involves settlement and how greed and ambition can take one man to his peak and back.



I am sorry I have not been writing. It's because of these books that I am reading. Please bear with my own book reviews.
And to my friend who knows who you are.... Grab a book and readasifthereisnotomorrow

No comments: