Wednesday, September 3, 2008

1st day is Suzhou

While I was still waiting for results for my school application in Suzhou, I always check some facts and pictures about suzhou in the internet. I always google suzhou and what comes out are pictures of Canals and traditional Chinese houses built beside these water ways. Internet states that it is famous for its gardens, that are included in the UNESCO world heritage.
Waking up on the first day, it was freezing cold. I peeped through my terrace to look for the surroundings of my apartment. I realized that my apartment is in the middle of many large factories lined up. Looking at the left side, I saw a very small canal, and on the intersection of the street there is a big factory named Renesas. Looking straight I saw a company named L’oreal, should be the famous cosmetic brand. Then I felt so tricked by the pictures I saw in the internet. I chose to stay in Suzhou because of its traditional beauty and it seemed so peaceful and a very good place to start a full year adventure.
Su Dian Road in SIP Suzhou China

Coming back to reality, I later found out that my apartment is located at the expensive SIP or Singapore Suzhou Industrial Park area. I was expecting to wake up with a very good view of canals in my window, or probably be awaken by the sounds of Chinese people in their mini gondolas passing through the canal alleys. Lesson no. 1 Suzhou is not just all about canals and gardens. It is a modern city also, with a lot of foreign companies building their factories in this city.

No comments: